2011-10-04

Who I am and what I discovered about life


I have previously talked about why I was doing this walk, but that changed when on the Meseta, this is a huge straight stretch of white gravel track, no water, it's a very lonely place. Where you are alone with your thoughts. I'm told madness is not unknown here, but for me the Meseta was kind and offered me the chance to reconsidered why I was doing this walk and as I reflected on how lucky my life has been, born in Jersey a wealth island and having two strong and bright sons, who both born premature have recovered from a difficult start to life. So for me from that point onwards my Camino became a journey of thanks, for the life I have and for the lives of my sons.

The lessons learned on my last day, will always stick with me. Firstly I discovered the drive in me that pushed me onwards rather than turning back to an easy day at Arco. This drive or stubborn streak was further displayed when already exhausted I walked pass the last alberge on Monte del Goza, even after LB text me to stop, my exhausted reply was “no can't, too close to give in”.

Lastly when walking through the streets of Santiago, I pondered if this pilgrimage had earned my place in heaven and what would that be, what is heaven? I considered that if it existed it must be perpetually joy. So recalling moments in my life when I experienced moments of joy, for me giving “kangaroo love” to my first very premature son, this is a SCBU (Special care baby unit) term where you open your shirt and the premature baby is placed on your chest, the skin to skin contact helps the parent bond to their child and the baby is kept warm from body heat, also giving my second son his first ever bottle while mother was in still in surgery. With those memories coming to me it did not take long for the tears of joy to well up. Which drew some understanding smiles and knowing nods from the locals I passed.

Would I do it again? yes, but if without my family, two week would be my maximum, my children are the most important thing in my life, two weeks away from them is about my limit. Also if I go again I may start from Porto and head North, get a tan on my right side, the walk from Sarria was too busy to enjoy. Ultimately I still intend to take my lads on the journey and show them all the world on one road in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment